Five "book" facts that you did not even guess:
- 1. Google counted the number of all artistic, documentary, and scientific publications in the world. The result is impressive. The total number of books on our planet is 129,864,880 copies. If you spend only one second reading each book it will still take you four years to read them all!
- 2. In 1965, the city of Rio de Janeiro turned 400 years old. In honor of the event they released a 200-page book made of . . . stainless steel! Pages of the “iron” book are rotated around the steel axis. And the book weighs as much as an adult elephant, three tons.
- 3. In 1738, the book The Only and Deepest Secrets of Medical Art, by Dr. Hermann Burhave, was sold at an auction for $10,000. The book was found sealed among the possessions of the doctor. When the seal was opened, it was found that all the pages of the book were clean. Only on the title page read the inscription: "Keep your head in the cold, feet warm, and you will make the poor doctor the best."
- 4. In the libraries of medieval Europe, books were chained to the shelves. The length of the chains allowed one to remove the book from the shelf and read. At the same time, it was impossible to take the book outside the library. The "closure" of books in the chain was associated with the great value of each copy of the book and lasted until the XVIII century.
- 5. You can buy Russian books in the USA with free shipping in the online store Colibri, if you enter the code: FREEBOOK when ordering from $29.
Minimal Price: $7.99